Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys in Fresno, California
When you think of The Golden Years of life, you think about feeling content, comfortable and having peace of mind. Unfortunately, this is not the case for many senior citizens who reside in nursing home facilities.
In California, there are 1199 nursing homes under a watchful eye of government inspectors. Twenty-six percent of these facilities have “severe deficiencies” and provide subpar care, according to Medicare statistics.
The National Center on Elder Abuse reports that senior citizens who suffer from abuse and neglect have a 300 percent higher risk of death compared to a seniors who are not abused.
Sending a parent or family member to live in a nursing home is not an easy decision to make—especially after hearing those alarming statistics.
When you leave a loved one in the hands of nursing home employees, you expect him/her to be well taken care of. Discovering your loved one has been abused is heartbreaking.
If you believe your loved one is a victim of neglect or abuse, in a nursing home, in California, your loved one may be eligible to receive compensation for his/her suffering.
Wagner Jones Kopfman and Artenian LLP is here to provide you and your loved one with the support you deserve. Give us a call today at: (559) 449-1800 for a free consultation.
What Are Some Common Nursing Home Abuses?
Common nursing home abuse seniors face include: emotional abuse, physical abuse, and financial abuse neglect. Here are a few signs that your loved one may be a victim of abuse.
- Your loved one is suffering from bed sores.
- He/she suddenly experiences an unusual shift in behavior, such as mood swings (happy one minute, sad the next).
- Your loved one becomes aggressive or even withdrawn.
- He/she has lost a noticeable amount of weight. This could be a sign of malnutrition.
- Your loved one has poor hygiene. His/her clothes and bed linens are dirty.
- He/she experiences unusual injuries, such as cuts, bruises, bed sores or burn marks.
- Your loved one develops unusual illnesses, such as HIV and STDs.
- Your loved one’s finances are out of control. He/she becomes broke suddenly. Or, you find unusual charges on his/her bank statements, such as airplane ticket purchases or expensive electronic device purchases.
- Another red flag includes changes in power of attorney rights or a caregiver is added to your loved one’s will without your loved ones knowledge.
If your parent or family member is suffering from nursing home abuse or neglect, don’t hesitate, call 911 immediately. Then call one of our experienced attorneys in Fresno to help fight for your rights at: (559) 449-1800.